A Guide to Job Seeking
1. Update your resume. Make sure to update your resume with current job information and skills. You may want to tailor your resume to the position you are applying for.
2. Utilize online job boards. Online job boards are an easy way to search jobs in your area that match your criteria. You can use a majority of them on your mobile device so you can apply for positions on the go.
3.Consider a staffing agency. If you are having trouble finding a job on your own, consider working with a staffing agency to help place you in a perfect fit. Temporary work will help keep your skills sharp and you can add more experience to your resume. Many temporary jobs become permanent roles.
4. Use your network. Talk to people you know in your field or at target companies. Ask about open positions at their company and gain knowledge on their companies from people who know firsthand what it’s like to work there.
5. Conduct informational interviews. Informational interviews can be extremely beneficial. You will gain insight from an industry professional about their career, the industry, and potentially a future corporation you want to work for. This is also a good way to expand your network.
6. LinkedIn & social media. With society being more tech oriented, more hiring managers are turning to social media to find potential candidates. Update your LinkedIn to be an extension of your resume. You can include more details about your previous roles than on your resume. Make sure your social media accounts are cleaned up and follow and connect with potential employers.
7. Apply to multiple positions. When looking for a new job opportunity, do not just apply to your one “dream job.” Chances are there are hundreds of other people applying to the same position. Apply to different jobs in your field and maybe even some that seem interesting, but you never pursued before. You may not get your “dream job,” but you you could end up in a career that becomes your new dream!
8. Keep your interview skills sharp. Make sure to maintain your interview skills throughout your job search. Phone interviews, Skype interviews, and multiple in-person interviews may be conducted during this period of time. Set up mock interviews with family and friends and practice typical questions in the mirror.
9. Keep a positive attitude. Remember, job seeking can be difficult. Keep a positive attitude and continue to look and apply for jobs. Finding a new job is a job. Hard work pays off!
10. Don’t give up! No matter how hard finding a new position is, whether you’re looking for your first job, changing careers, or getting back into the work force, don’t give up!